MISSION DOLORES – Founded in 1776, Misión San Francisco de Asís was named for Saint Francis of Assisi. The common name is Mission Dolores, for its proximity to the “Creek of Sorrows”. The name remains but the creek is long gone. The mission is the city’s birthplace and oldest intact building, surviving the great earthquake of 1906. It is the only intact settlement in the chain of the original California missions. The old mission trail is the definitive road map of California history; the most important settlement of the west. The cemetery and gardens of the current Mission Dolores are located adjacent to the old mission, the only remaining cemetery within city limits.