ART BELL – As the 90s drew to a close, late in the night, Art Bell excited radio listeners with stories of campfire ghosts and creatures hidden in shadows. The show Art started, Coast to Coast, brought in 10 million radio listeners at its height. I was listening and remember the night he made his announcement in 1998. Art said his safety was being threatened, he quit his radio job on air, and planned to go into hiding. He came back to the show but left again and the network attempted to replace Art with George Noory. But how can a visionary be replaced by a reporter? Art Bell transformed popular culture by suggesting psychic phenomena really existed, and discussed his favorite conspiracy theories. Aliens, time travel, ghosts, UFOs, science and ancient civilizations. Art had several more false starts and sudden retirements up to 2015 or so. Finally he died at his house in Pahrump AZ on April 13, 2018. If you haven’t discovered the classic Art Bell radio shows don’t shortchange yourself. Go uncover those hidden gems.
DO ALIENS EXIST? – We still don’t have an answer to these fascinating questions. Are humans alone in the cosmos?
1. Aliens on Jupiter? – Europa (Jupiter’s moon) has an ocean under its ice crust. NASA spotted plumes of water vapor erupting from the surface. Water. What better place to look for aliens?
2. Water on Mars? – The red planet was covered with water in the ancient past. It’s been photographed and traversed by rovers but we don’t know if it once supported life.
3. Alien signals? – Most strange light pulses are explained easily. But some might be generated by extraterrestrials. Borra and Trottier published a paper entitled “Signals probably from Extraterrestrial Intelligence” detailing the discovery of 234 such signals.
4. Alien megastructure? – Science has hypothesized the blinking Tabby’s Star was being blocked by a Dyson Sphere–or a swarm of megastructures–something like aliens would build.
5. Hitching a ride? – Early Earth was very hot. Some scientists think it would have been easier for life to evolve on a milder arid planet. Did asteroids jettisoned from Mars–carrying microbial life–crash land on Earth? Sounds crazy. But pieces of Mars have been found on Earth and there are almost certainly pieces of Earth on Mars.
6. Wow signal? – In 1977, a telescope found a powerful blast of radio waves, that lasted 72 seconds. Despite numerous attempts, the signal has never been observed again.
7. Another Earth? – In addition to Proxima B, the recent discovery of GJ 1132 B reveals a world with a thick water/ methane atmosphere. Most discovered exoplanets are gas giants, hotter and larger than Jupiter. With the first glimpse of alien air, astronomy enters a new frontier, in the examination of small Earth-like worlds.
THE DAY AFTER ROSWELL – Colonel Philip J. Corso’s memoir, is an account of the purported discovery and subsequent cover-up, detailing a crashed extraterrestrial spacecraft in Roswell NM in 1947. He describes recovered items including alien bodies, UFO instruments, computer chips, metal cloth and fiber optics. According to him, these inventions were reverse engineered and resulted in the advancement of computer science, communications and modern video/ audio entertainment. Published a year before his death, he went on to appearances in the media including Dateline and radio interviews promoting his book. The book’s detractors are numerous include the media, government and scientists. Claiming the assertions are over reaching and not supported by corroboration of others and evidence. Interesting? Yes. Factual? I have no idea.